Here are a few basic deck building tips by Longmont deck builders:
- First, decide on the ground’s level. In colder regions, the best way to ensure a stable deck is to build the deck four or five feet above ground level.
- Then, choose the deck building materials.
- Then, follow the instructions for installing the posts. You should use proper bracket nails for deck posts.
- Then, attach the boards crown side up. Finally, install the railings and stair treads.
- If you live in North America, you need to be aware of local building codes. You may need a permit or a drawing to build a deck.
- Make sure to find out any setbacks or permit requirements for your neighborhood before you start.
- The best way to find out is to contact the town hall or your local authority.
- You can get more detailed information about zoning regulations if you know where your property boundaries are.
- In addition, check with your local building department to make sure the project will meet zoning regulations.
Another important consideration is access. If you plan to use your deck to entertain, consider the best way to have easy access. Glass doors provide access to the main interior room, such as the living room. If bugs are a problem, consider installing a backup screen.
Screen doors are a good option, but if you live in an area where the bugs are a concern, consider installing screen panels. You can either hang them like curtains or install them using magnets.
If you want to build a deck in North America, you need to follow the rules. This includes obtaining a building permit or drawing, depending on the size of your deck. It’s a good idea to learn about the laws in your area before you begin.
You can also get a rough cost estimate by visiting your town hall or authority. There are also many resources available online that can help you determine your budget before you begin work on the deck.
Some builders install the boards too closely together, assuming that wood shrinks. However, this isn’t a good idea. In addition to making your deck look more attractive, you also need to consider how to make it last as long as possible.
Some experts recommend using the “three-4-5” rule, where a diagonal leg is five units long. This rule will help you determine which boards should be placed on the deck and which should be kept off the ground.
Another important tip is to keep animals out. Although skunks and raccoons are adorable, they aren’t welcome in your yard. The best way to keep them out is to install a diamond-lath on the outside of the deck.
These boards can be screwed into the joists, so make sure the board isn’t crowded. Then, install a rotisserie grill and a gas outlet close by.